Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Controversy Over Foie Gras: California loopholes?

Foie Gras is a luxury dish that is served all over, but there is much controversy to this dish. Foie Gras is the liver of a duck or a goose that has been force fed  with a technique called gavage. This dish has a rich flavor and a smooth texture which can be served in pâtés or in hot main entrees. 



Foie Gras has been banned in California since July 1, 2012 making it illegal to serve or produce this dish in the state of California. However, some businesses are finding the loopholes and still serving this dish. From clever wordplay to customers providing their own product for chefs to prepare the foie gras, this ban can not completely get rid of the product.

Places such as the Presido Social Club in San Francisco are still serving their foie gras being that the "law doesn't apply to them because the restaurant is on land administered by a federal agency". Experts in the legal field state that this club is safe from any lawsuits being that this ban doesn't effect federal property. 

No matter what this dish is loved by many people from California to France and will not be banned completely anywhere. Even though this is banned in California, foie gras is not banned from places such as Europe or Canada.

For more information go to: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/foie-gras-ban_n_1680200.html


3 comments:

  1. I think that this was a very interesting post because when I lived in France we ate foie gras all the time and I really loved it. I don't think it should be banned from California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think it should be banned either. I would really love to try this. I've heard its a very important holiday dish overseas. I've heard you raving about this product too!

      Delete
  2. I think that's a very interesting topic because I'm so used to see foie gras everywhere back home that, before your article, I didn't even know it was banned in California. And yes, you're right, it is a very important holiday dish overseas!

    ReplyDelete